Dock doesn't launch at login, other stuff.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MyDesktopBroke, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Today I went through the process of customizing my dock icons without Candybar. I replaced the trash can icons manually, but it only showed the new icon if I put something in the trash and took it back out. When I logged in and out the icon had reverted to normal.

I went online to see what I could do about this, and some one said to delete the com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.dock.db. I did so, but upon log in the dock would not open and the desktop had reverted to the default. I also couldn't activate exposé. I tried rebooting into safe mode but that did do anything either.

I went into system prefs and set the dock app in the core services as one of my log in apps, but when I log in it's set as the default desktop for a few seconds while the dock app launches. It works, but it's irritating.

What gives, and any advice?

2. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

if you have any stuff in your Downloads folder on your dock, remove the files/drag it out somewhere, reboot.

if that doesn't work try

in Terminal type

killall Dock

then hit opt-cmd-D

3. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

My download folder is empty.

When I killed the dock, it simply didn't reboot. Expose also stopped working. Hitting option command d did nothing visible. I again had to launch the dock manually.

Thanks for posting, though.