[Dock] Elevation Dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by k3roro, Feb 16, 2012.

1. k3roro macrumors 6502

Saw this kickstarter dock complete take off.

[​IMG]

http://store.elevationlab.com/collections/frontpage/products/elevation-dock

Just wondering though, with all these aluminum cases hurting reception of the phone, wouldn't an aluminum dock do the same? I understand that when it's charging you likely won't be using it, but wouldn't this still have impact on the phone?

There must be something I'm missing, please let me know.:confused:

2. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

Nice looking dock but not sure if it's worth the high price.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Look at the photo of the dock you posted. How does it differ from a case?

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Looks like just machined aluminum block...but lord that is expensive for a unitasker dock.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

$90, and effectively the best argument even the manufacturer is able to come up with for getting one is that it is heavier, thus allowing easier phones removal with one hand? For that price I can get three official apple docks or five to six knockoffs. Either of the latter choices gives me a dock in every possible room I may need it.

6. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

I was just checking how much that dock costs...

My reaction:

http://pic.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/*****.jpg

Seriously. I rather use Apple dock which can bet controlled with remote and sticked to my table with double sided tape than use that.

7. k3roro thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, I never thought of the double-sided tape. I just found that pressing down on it w/ one finger while lifting the phone out doesn't bother me that much.

But then again, this dock, if you use it for all your future iPhones, would probably be worth the price.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

That's the thing you can't be sure of.,

9. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Yup. What's the point of a dock really? If I charge my iPhone at the day time, I charge it on cable, just because I don't want to take it out of charge when someone texts me while charging in dock.

Whats the point of a dock when you charge your iPhone when you sleep? No point, you can't see your iPhone, so you can charge it on a cable.

One think which I like about Apple Docks (elevation dock doesn't seem to have it) is that it has line-out for 3.5mm speakers etc.

So yes, its like ~100$ for dock, which... Umm... Looks nice?

10. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

11. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Yeah - it's a great dock. I've retired mine for now since I'm using an ihome now but I can definitely see myself using it again in the future. The thing that bothers me about the ihome is that it's just too damn light and it always lifts up when I try to undock my phone and it slides across my nightstand when I push the home button while my phone is docked.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep saw that on Kickstarter quickly passed to much $$$ for me. Penty of docks that work well and cheap on Ebay. However I don't see it causing much of a antenna issue since it surround it. My Capta from Kickstarter just shipped to. :D

13. dirtbikng8 macrumors newbie

i was a backer on kickstarter, therefore i purchased a dock. i think it will be a nice touch on my nightstand seeing how my cable always falls on the floor under the bed where i am then searching for it almost nightly. it was a bit pricey but we will see if its worth it when i receive it!

14. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Here is a $9.95 solution for lots of cables.

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/cabledrop/

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always highly subjective. For those that don't see the point in docks it's not worth it no matter what.

The point is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. If you don't see the point then why are you wasting time in dock-related threads? :confused: :rolleyes:

Fail:
    http://store.elevationlab.com/collections/frontpage/products/elevation-dock
    Sure you can. I can see mine just fine running the clock app that I have. Again, if you don't see the point then move on.

16. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

17. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I bought one to see what it looks like and I will sell it on eBay for a profit.

18. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I don't understand this dock. Everyone got on board and now with delays and iPhone 5's new connector.

Weighting the dock just wasn't the right solution. Why not just take a bit of double sided tape on a normal apple dock. I have both mine set up like this and works beautifully and looks way better than the hunk of metal.