Dock, expose, start up and volume keys issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mytornado, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mytornado macrumors newbie

(This is all occuring on an intel iMac 1.73 core duo, 1gb ram, OS 10.4.11)

Where to start, about 3 days ago my mac took ages to boot, it just sat on a plain white screen before eventually loading the white page with the apple. Sometimes I have to restart at that point because it doesn't get anywhere. It still happens at least once a day.

I have my dock hidden and it's not responding when I go to the bottom of the screen, it appears if I click but then when I go to hover over a different application the magnification doesnt follow it.

My volume keys on my keyboard and remote havent been working.

Expose hasnt been working either.

And finally when I hover over an icon the pointer doesnt change and it doesnt highlight the icon I'm over. This is also occuring with the toolbar at the top of the screen.

I havent installed anything since last monday and that was only BFD2. On some restarts it's ok, it's doing ok this time but I have unplugged most of my USB's and firewire. These items include 2 external harddrives, my phone charger, my ipod cable and my logic key.

Any ideas would be truely helpful cos I'm at a loss for ideas. Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unplug all your peripherals, not just most. Do you have third party RAM installed? Have you tried repairing your drive?

3. mytornado thread starter macrumors newbie

I've unplugged everything except my mouse and I have a bluetooth keyboard. I've tried repairing the harddrive and the permissions

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. mytornado thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything checked out fine, the only thing I've done around the time of it starting was I got a harddrive caddy for my old harddrive. But I've plugged that back in and it seems to work fine. I wouldnt worry too much, my new mac has just been shipped today and I'll do a fresh install on this one when I sell it.

But thanks for responding it might have just been one of those things.