Dock, Finder and Applicaiton crashing..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mobidev, Nov 20, 2009.

1. mobidev macrumors member

Hi,

I am facing a problem with my miniMac. The problems are as follows,

i) Dock is not shown continuously,
    ii) Applications such as iTunes.app , FireFox.app are crashing.
    iii) System is taking around 5-6 min for rebooting.
    iv) Finder is crashing while opening the folders such as Applicaiton, Download, installables etc...

Please help me for a solution.
    I didnt had any idea why all of sudden its went this way..

Thank you.

I am using Mac Leopard 10.5.8 upgraded from the 10.5.4
    Also System preference also get crashed when modifying some preferences such as Spotlight, Dock etc..

Does again using the combo update to just upgrade would help anyWay....??

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

With all of those crazy things happening at once, I think my first step would be to log in under a different user account to see if that might help. If it does, you can consult Mac Help on how to transition to the new account before your delete the present one.

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

The Combo Update will clean install all updates, AFAIK. It might help. Do try logging into a different account.

I had some similar problems on my uMBP once, and it turned out to be the PMC failing to recognize the battery. It started in all of a sudden; lots of beachballs followed by frequent app crashes. Once I finally got it to shut down, it wouldn't even boot.

I did the Apple-recommended PMC reset (pull the battery and hold the power button down for 5 seconds), and haven't had a problem since. Since you don't have a notebook, I doubt this is the problem though.