Dock for MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by beej210, Jan 25, 2012.

1. beej210 macrumors newbie

Should I wait for the new thunderbolt dock from Belkin?

Switching from my PC to an MBA at work, and connecting USB, power, monitor, Ethernet, and speakers seems like a pain....

What's the best dock out there?

Thanks!

2. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

The best dock is the Thunderbolt Display. From the looks of the pricing and availability on the Belkin Dock, I would personally pay the extra to get the display. (which I did)

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Knowing how poorly Belkin products work with Macs, I'd say just get the display.

4. CBergerman1515 macrumors newbie

Henge Docks have been making docks for macs for awhile now. But they just announced that they are making docks for macbook airs. This is only available for pre-order. But I have one for my 15" macbook pro and it works great. Amazingly easy to just dock my computer and it's hooked up to my tv, surround sound, external hard drive, ethernet, usb hub, and power.

Check out this link. http://hengedocks.com/order_mba.html

Definitely worth the price for the simplicity.

5. torana355 macrumors 68000

I actually like that dock alot....hmmmmm

6. jj48 macrumors regular

Personally I'm waiting for this one (due to start shipping in a couple of months). Prefer it to the henge dock anyway.

7. torana355 macrumors 68000

It looks great when the MBA is docked but ugly when it is taken out. That henge looks real nice both ways and the vertical mounting frees up more desktop space. Just my personal opinion anyway.

8. kamuix macrumors regular

i'm really digging that dock jj48, especially with the 4 usb ports. i'm too afraid if i did have a henge dock, i'd pimp slap it over one of these days. :D

9. CBergerman1515 macrumors newbie

That one is pretty cool. I like how it includes the ethernet and extra usb. But the henge dock will be around 60 dollars vs the infinity wing's 200 dollars. Not sure if it's worth that...

Personally I like the vertical docking with the henge dock better as I appreciate the smaller footprint in my limited home theater space. Although I could definitely see the convenience of horizontal docking by just putting it on top of the AV receiver or game console in the home theater.

I think price is the main limiting factor as I don't need the ethernet or extra usb ports. Interesting...

10. jj48 macrumors regular

Good points. I was lured by the extra ports offered by the LandingZone, but thinking about my needs I should probably be more worried about desk space than extra ports.

Price is definitely an issue. I might have to check out some henge dock reviews again, heard some good and bad things about it if I remember rightly. Still I will probably wait until some people start using the LandingZone, to see what their verdict is.

11. beej210 thread starter macrumors newbie

But don't you have to attach the power separately with the henge dock? What ports does it "dock"?

12. torana355 macrumors 68000

It docks the thunderbolt and usb ports but i think i see an issue as the website says it only passes though mini display port info not thunderbolt...

13. jj48 macrumors regular

FYI the LandingZone dock won't pass through thunderbolt signal on release either. That's on the way apparently. Not a problem for me because I use MDP.