Dock for two laptops?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by franmatt80, Sep 16, 2010.

1. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Hope this is the right thread to post in...

I'm looking to find a docking station that I can plug both my personal MacBook Pro into, along with my work laptop (a Compaq). I have to use the Compaq to access the network files, but I do everything else on my Mac as it's much faster and easier. (No, IT won't network Macs - they don't trust 'em).

I'd love to have a dock I could plug my speakers, ethernet, monitor etc into, along with both laptops, and then just switch between the two laptops as I need to - would be so much better than my current set up of two laptops, two mice and very little desk space!

Does anyone know of a dock I could do this with?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. w00d macrumors member

I don't think you'll ever find an off the shelf dock that will have all of the connections and whatnot to pull it off.

But there are some options that might save some desk space.

1) Buy a KVM. Are you familiar with what they do? Keyboard, video, mouse goes in one side, then 1 or more systems plug into it. Switch between the systems using a hotkey sequence.

2) Leave your windows laptop plugged in somewhere and connected to your LAN, and log int remotely via terminal services / remote desktop. This way you don't even need to keep it on your desk. Maybe it goes on your rack next to the printer. No need to even hook up a keyboard / monitor / mouse to the system, just remotely connect using your mac when necessary.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

Can your mac be on the network at all? if so...

use a program like synergy

it's keyboard and mouse sharing, once it makes a second computer behave just like a dual screen monitor. so you set up your laptops beside each other, but only use the keyboard/mouse on your mac, then all you have to do is mouse off the right (or top/bottom/left) of your screen, and the same keyboard & mouse control the windows machine. sends the clipboard along too.

I use teleport, for controlling my media computer, but it's mac only.

5. franmatt80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much - the KVM is what I need. Didn't even know of their existence! I couldn't use a software option as the work laptop is really locked down and I can't install anything on it...

Have been checking out the Belkin Flip and iogear mini..shall head over to 'Buying advice' to see if anyone has any experience with either.

Thanks for your help!

6. franmatt80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not intending to bump my own thread, but just incase anyone is looking for an answer to this, the Belkin Flip has proved to be perfect and meets all my needs.