Dock for Unibody Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIKE666, Nov 11, 2008.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

has anyone seen or bought a dock for the new MBP.
    i am going to get a new one soon.
    the plan is to have it on a desk and have a 24'' monitor, dual display in OSX and then clamshell mode for gaming in windows.
    i would like a dock though as 2 usb ports isnt really enough.
    even a stand would do, i can get a usb hub, as long as it fit with the design of the Pro.

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

You could get the mStand by Rain, which would match the design of the MacBook Pro perfectly, and I do believe there are some USB hubs out there that emulate the design of the MacBook Pro, which would give you the most consistent appearance.

USB Hubs at MacSales.com

Rain Design "mStand"

3. jhu2 macrumors member

i just got my mstand today and it is amazing. Its made out of solid aluminum as well, and really sturdy. I love it!

I can post pics if anyone is interested. only iphone quality though since i left my dslr at home.

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

That would be great! I've been recommending it forever based upon others experiences, yet I don't have one.... yet. :D

5. jhu2 macrumors member

6. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

looks nice, if i can find one in the UK for a reasonable price i think i will get one of those.

thanks

7. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I'd like a dock that could give me a video out that was actually compatible with things!

8. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

i have only seen one dock and that was for the previous macbook pro.
    it didnt look great but wasnt to bad.
    would be good to have a decent dock, but if not a stand is good. i suppose the new 24 cinema display is kind of a dock in a way. i would love to get one but the price is ridiculous.

9. tijn89 macrumors newbie

I think i am going for the whole same set as you are, happy with the speakers; logitech z2300? I have been looking arround for a decent 2.1 speakerset to replace my current 5.1 i-trigue set of creative (thought i had to buy an expencive decoder for getting it to work with the mbp, turns out griffin has a small box for just $ 20, but prommised the setto my little brother so no way back..).
    The 2300 scores great on most reviews, i have the seen the set in rl, but couldn't listen to it because it wasn't set up. What i have seen, was that it just looked like it is made from cheap plastic and the remote didn't feel like much quality either. So is it worth the money? And if so, what do i need to get it work with the mbp?

Thx!:)

10. jhu2 macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply. I love these speakers. I've used these for 3 years now almost and the quality hasn't gone down at all. The speakers are monsters. I usually only have the volume up 1/6 of the way, and the bass all the way turned down. I think the quality is good, the remote is convenient, the blue led is bright. I really don't have any complaints about them. All you do is just plug them into the audio jack and youre good to go. nothing else

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

I wonder if there's something like the mStand with a larger cutout in the back, like the Griffin Elevator but without that ridiculous plastic bit. Would fit my intended setup perfectly... Should probably make one myself.

12. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

Let me know how that goes!! :)

-Rich-

13. tijn89 macrumors newbie

NP at all! :) Thx for your response!

14. binh514 macrumors newbie

the mstand is made of aluminium, does it act like a heatsink ? man i'm running in bootcamp on my unibody pro and is so damn hot!!11!! i'm thinking to buy a stand but is it better with a fan?

15. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

No, it's got feet on it to keep the machine up a little bit to improve airflow of it though. The only way something touching a MacBook Pro would act like a heatsink is if it was actually attached with thermal paste like Arctic Silver 3/5, otherwise It'd just be in the way and hinder thermal transfer to the air.

16. TAGF1 macrumors newbie

Bookendz for MBP Unibody coming in January. This according to the person I talked to when I called to inquire.

I second the Rain Design M stand stability. Great Product, very high quality. Not real happy that the hole in the back isn't large enough to fit any Video adapter, but a minor issue. Again, great product.

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/