Dock freezes whenever I try to open an application

Discussion in 'macOS' started by uberlou, Mar 11, 2010.

1. uberlou macrumors newbie

I was hoping someone could help me with this issue. I've been reading similar threads, but couldn't find anyone who had the same exact issue.

MacBook Pro
    OSX 10.4

The problem began when I was attempting to force quit an app that had frozen last night. The Force Quit box wouldn't pop up and I got the rainbow pinwheel within Firefox. After the Force Quit box still wouldn't appear, I was able to shut down other apps and even able to restart the computer. Upon restart, once I tried to click an app on the dock, i'd see the icon bounce once or twice then just completely freeze. I'm able to move around the cursor arrow, but can't click anything.

This morning, I was able to open the Terminal (it never popped up in the dock for some reason) and did the 'killall Dock' command. At this point, my system started running real slow and I couldn't seem to double click anything. I had to cmnd + click 'Open' to get to the Activity Monitor. That opened, but then it froze and gave me the window pinwheel. I tried to force quit it, but it wouldn't quit. I had to hold down the power button to turn it off. When I tried rebooting, I couldn't even get to the Terminal anymore since now it would pop up in the dock when I opened it.

Anyone know what else I could do to try and resolve this issue? Thanks in advance.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Copy the com.apple.dock.plist to the desktop and delete it from ~/Library/Preferences/. Then go into Terminal and type killall Dock