Dock goes black and stacks are "invisible"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GNice, Jan 11, 2008.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

Recently, I have a problem with my machine after I've put it to sleep. I fire it back up and the dock is black and the icons inside each of my stacks can't be seen...can only see a dark "outline" where the label/text for the name of item in the stack should appear. I couldn't take a screen shot with a stack open because the stack closes when I click anything.

Has anyone seen something like this...my first "bug" with my iMac...:(

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

take a screen shot by pressing "command-shift-4" and drag the cross hair over the whole dock then attach it.

have you tried pressing "command-option-D" twice to hide then un-hide the Dock or typing "killall Dock" in the terminal to relaunch the Dock?

3. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

First, thx for the help, much appreciated. I tried killall Dock...didn't fix it. I logged out and back in and all was well again. I'll try to reproduce and create a screen shot per your suggestion. Thx again.

4. AppleCrisp macrumors member

This has also been happening to me since I got Leopard. Also, the dock icons begin to disappear when you mouse over them, sometimes fully, or sometimes it looks like they are shutters opening so there's a line of the icon then a line of see thru then a line of the icon and so on. I've attached a picture of what it looks like when to labels on the stacks go invisible. Picture 6.png A reboot usually fixes the problem but thats a pretty annoying hassle to do. This is but one of the many problems with my Leopard unfortunately!!

5. one1 macrumors 65816

The stack is a different program than the dock. We've had the dock since OS X began, but the stack is a new addition. If you can find out what file makes the stack - stack, you can reload that or try to repair it.

6. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleCrisp...that's it! That is EXACTLY what I'm seeing on occasion. The problem is I can't seem to predict or reproduce it at will. Can you? Fortunately, for me it happens infrequently, but is very annoying. I just log off and on, but who wants to have to do that. I guess I'm also fortunate that this is my only issue with Leopard. If you don't mind my asking what hardware are you running?

7. itsaka macrumors member

I will also put my vote in for experiencing this behavior with the Dock and Stacks. This issue seems to show itself when my computer wakes up from being asleep.

Not sure if the computer itself may be cause of things (maybe the video card and video drivers being the cause of it).

My configuration is 24" 2.4 GHz iMac with 1 GB Ram, Radeon HD 2600 256 MB.

8. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep...same here. The thing is it doesn't happen EVERY time it wakes up from being asleep. Hmmmmm...

BTW, I have very similar hardware...just a bit more RAM, but otherwise the same.

9. Island Roots macrumors regular

I've had this problem on my iMac as well, intermittent but definitely there.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not quite true. Stacks are new, but they're still a part of the Dock. They're simply a new feature. They're still created by the Dock, and the files involved are within Dock.app.

I've had this same problem, haven't yet solved it, but it's stopped showing up very often for me, so I've stopped worrying for the most part.

jW

11. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

since you have the dock since os x began you should know that dashboard, expose and stacks are controlled by the dock.

12. one1 macrumors 65816

And how often have you ever had a dock go black on OS X before stacks on Leo?

..............right.

The dock icons work in the screen shot above, the stacks do not. Now if you have a concept of the program the stack is, it's in the stacks side of the dock, which is separate from the regular dock side.

13. AppleCrisp macrumors member

Im running the neww 20 inch Aluminum 2.4 ghz 2 gb of ram... just today the other problem occurs which usually leads to the stacks messing up... the icons began to disappear when I mouse over them... Picture 2.png in this picture, I'm mousing over Garageband but the icon has disappeared,, also what happens is this: Picture 3.png where an icon has a line or many lines disappear... pretty soon the stacks should be disappearing!:(

14. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the best way that we can send this to Apple...there is a clearly a nasty little bug somewhere...

15. Mac Diddy macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. It is fixed by restarting, but it can be annoying.

16. axeldtf macrumors 6502

i'm having the same problem, only had the imac for one week. not a serious problem but kind annoying. everything still works.

17. mzd macrumors 6502a

same exact problem here as well. killall Dock does not fix it. logging off (or restarting) does.

18. joshf macrumors newbie

Still going?

Any fix for this? I've never experienced this on my PPC G5, but my new 2.4Ghz 24" iMac (1Gb) workstation at work started doing this in its first week of operation.

19. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Repairing permissions in Disk Utility has helped fix OS X weirdness for me

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I had this problem before and after searching for a while i found a thread on google (can't remember if it was in Macrumors or not) where someone gave a terminal command which restarts the OSX interface without having to reboot your computer.