Dock has disappeared.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Goohfy, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

I've been searching throughout the site on how to fix, nothing has worked. I'll be honest, I had tried changing the dock to this :http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=mac dock&order=9&offset=72#/d26bos2 and instead of succeeding, my dock decided to disappear. I tried using the original dock and then "killall dock" but that didn't work. I tried removing the 2 preference files, and restarting yet it didnt work and they never came back as they should. Please help?

2. simsaladimbamba

Does the Dock process show up in Activity Monitor?
    Do you have Mac OS X 10.6 on your Mac or what Mac OS X version do you have?
    Does the same happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

3. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

No Dock in Activity Monitor, here's a picture to make sure:
    [​IMG]
    And I have Snow Leopard, newest update, 10.6, I'll try a temp. account right now.

4. simsaladimbamba

As you have 10.6, you can just put in the installation DVD and reinstall Mac OS X, thus the Dock should be restored and no settings and data of yours will be deleted.

5. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok so, throw the 10.6 Snow Leopard disk, no need to backup? It'll keep all files?

6. simsaladimbamba

If you don't change any settings, all should be well, but a backup is always a good idea, regardless of reinstallation or not. Use CarbonCopyCloner to make bootable backups, that way, if you ever encounter a non-existent Dock, you can restore from that backup, and will not take that long.

7. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok thanks, it ended up working, Ill be sure to download the program as well.