Dock Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yelz, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Yelz macrumors newbie

I installed Microsoft Office Free Trial for my Mac OS X and i removed the files after 30 days but i still seem to have spaces where there are supposed to be logos of Microsoft Word etc. I tried removing them from the dock (the basic way) but they still seem to stay there.
    Is there another way that i can remove the annoying spaces please? :mad:
    :apple:

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

have you got rid of all microsoft files in user library > application support?
    then open terminal and type killall Dock with a capital D in dock and enter,
    should clear the gaps :)

3. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Try this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=244035

Someone had your problem further down. Try Force Quit to find the microsoft apps; if they're not there try Activity Monitor in your Applications>Utilities.

You can also try opening up Terminal from the same folder and copying in these words EXACTLY:

killall Dock

Make sure the dock content's aren't locked. I've been able to do it via the "Secrets" app: http://osx.iusethis.com/app/secrets

That's all I can think of. Maybe someone else has other ideas, or try http://mroogle.*************/ as the unofficial Google-based search engine of MacRumors Forums.

4. Yelz thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried, but it doesn't work, the gaps are still there.
    Thank you for the help :)

5. Yelz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i tried Secrets, but i still couldnt remove the microsoft things, but they were still there. Although i used the Secrets to remove the non used microsoft. So thank you. :)

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

hey Yelz have you tried re-downloading the trial, and uninstalling,
    I cant remember if MS office has a uninstaller included, then when re-installed, restart and start by removing the icons from the dock then uninstall, then open terminal and type exactly killall Dock then run repair permissions and restart, it's a long shot but worth a go.

also Look here for other stuff on the uninstall

7. followinter macrumors newbie

Great bags.. really beautiful..I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.
    :p:eek::mad::rolleyes::confused:

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Is Microsoft just out to get Apple? It seems their Mac software causes as many problems as Windows itself. Maybe they're trying to scare switchers away?

At any rate if they're going to write for Apple they need to conform to Apple's standards, which include the process of Trash-ing an app to remove it...uninstallers are such a barbaric practice, next to blood letting and seal clubbing...well to be honest I think seals should have a right to party at any number of clubs they choose but that's beside the point.

9. Yelz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try to re-install and then uninstall.
    I think they are trying to get Mac people to swicth to Windows. :/
    :apple:

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You could have a corrupt Dock plist file. Do you know the drill to test that?