Dock Hiding Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RodChester, Jul 12, 2010.

1. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

Ok so I just switched to my first Mac. A MacBook Pro 13" base model. I have one question about using the dock the way I would like to. Right now I have the dock on the bottom of the screen and set to hide unless I mouse around the bottom of the screen. I like this so that I can have Firefox maximized to take up the whole screen. However, I wold like to show the dock on the desktop when I don't have any windows maximized.

So I guess my question is this. Is there a way to set the dock to automatically hide when windows are maximized on the screen and then have the dock automatically show when there are no windows open or maximized?

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Not that I know of. Personally, I prefer a smaller—but fixed—dock.

3. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

That's kind of nit-picky so I don't think there's a way of doing that. It's like wanting your wallpaper to change depending on the app you're running.

4. RodChester thread starter macrumors regular

RodChester

Yeah, I've made my dock really small and set the magnification to be really big. This solution is something I can get used to and be ok with. I'm just coming from using Windows 7 and that OS has a really great taskbar.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are 3rd-party Dock replacements out there you may find to your liking, such as DragThing.