Dock Icon Animation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gozz, Jan 23, 2008.

1. gozz macrumors newbie

How do you make it to where when you scroll over your dock icons, they magnify? Mine just came normal

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In the Dock Preferences in System Preferences. Set the size to something less than maximum, turn on magnification...

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. LukeDeFian macrumors member

LukeDeFian

errrrrrr

do some research before posting smthng like this bro...
    this one was quite easy

5. gozz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey "BRO" sorry I was under the impression that mac rumor forums was for answering questions for people who dont know the answers, I just switched to mac and am trying to learn. The most basic stuff is still very new to me

6. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Come on man, the guy just switched to a Mac and, this being a Mac forum, would be a pretty good place to get a quick response to his question. Which is exactly what happened.

It was only his first post as well - no need to lay into the guy.

Anyway, welcome to the fold gozz. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Mac (which one did you get?) and, most importantly, enjoy being a member of the MacRumors community.

Cheers :)

7. PJF13 macrumors member

Seriously cut the dude a break. When I first switched to the world of Mac it was these little things that took some of the most getting used to and familiar with.

Gozz, WELCOME! I still can remember the headache I had for a couple weeks getting used to not having the "close" X box in the upper right hand corner of my windows.

Boards like this were my saving grace for quick answers even though now I cringe at some of the things I asked :)

8. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Isn't the magnification on by default? At least thats what I recall...

9. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

No, it isn't. I just did a clean install of Leopard today and until I used the migration assistant, the default was for magnification to be off.

Welcome to the world of Mac, fellow switcher. I think there seems to be a bunch of us... must be that increased market share. I think the first question I ever posted was about why the "end" key doesn't do what it does on Windows (Command + arrow = end on a mac :confused:)

All in all, six months in, I'm so glad I switched. You will be too.

10. gozz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. I just bought my macbook 2ghz with 4gb ram last week. I really want an imac but cant afford it at the time so i bought this notebook to learn the OS and plus it will come in handy for school. I'm so glad I found some user friendly forums with the exception of ^^ . Yeah one thing that keeps killing me is the absence of a right click. It also took a few days before i realized that the toolbar at the top right changed with each application .. haha i know i know (Noob) . thanks guys im sure i will be posting again soon

11. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

if you don't have a mouse, you can turn on right click on the touch pad in system preferences > mouse/keyboard > touchpad. you'll just have to place two fingers on the touch pad before you hit the button.

12. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

It's even under the apple menu..... you do know that it's a menu, don't you?

13. gozz thread starter macrumors newbie

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There are a lot of things that are oddly not switched on by default, such as right clicking, Spaces, Dock magnification, etc...

I wonder how many Mac users go on for months or even forever without knowing these things are there.

15. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I love the two-finger right click... When I use a different laptop it always confuses me at first when I can't two-finger click. The only downside is that you can't really then use the two-finger scroll in Safari with that option turned on; it always thinks you want the right-click menu. Small price to pay, I guess.

Another neat trick that has become second nature is hot corners. You can turn this feature on and customize its function under the "system preferences" expose panel. At first I thought this would be more of a hindrance, constantly accidentally hitting a hot corner. Now it's become essential; I rarely use alt+tab any more, and again its something I always miss when I hop on a different laptop.

I have it set where the bottom left corner shows the desktop, the top right shows all the open windows in an application and the bottom right shows all open windows. When you're ready give it a try and after a while, I guarantee it'll be second nature in no time and it really adds functionality IMO.

16. theman macrumors 6502a

DON'T TAZE ME BRO!

17. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

It's good to see that Nick Burns The Computer Guy is still alive and well: http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-11125.html

Part of the appeal of Mac is the friendly community that comes with it.. :rolleyes:

18. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

I use two-finger scroll all the time with the two-finger right click.. or do you have the "touchpad-tap click" on?

19. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

It's confusing how they've described this feature in the Preferences and the Apple website; cos it seems as though the only way to do a right click is to keep two fingers on the trackpad AND then click the trackpad button.

I was happily using it like this for a couple of weeks after getting my Mac until I accidentally discovered that you could simply click the trackpad with two fingers at the same time and it would register as a right click. I couldn't believe how much easier and quicker that was and I never used the trackpad button after that. But I wonder how many people didn't know about that?

Same goes for Spaces. I wonder how many people don't know that you can press F8 (or click the Spaces button) to bring up the birds eye view AND then simply press the number key that corresponds to the space you want to switch to. Again I discovered this by accident. I never saw it anywhere in the documentation.

Speaking of which why does the documentation for Windows and Mac OS omit so many useful features and shortcuts? If it wasn't for forums and websites like this I would never even know about them! Where's the official documentation for the Calculator features in Spotlight in Leopard such as the mathematical funtions that you can use?