Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I have no idea how this happened but as you can see, the dock icon is actually in the dock. And since you have to quit it to remove it, you must quit the dock which makes it impossible.
I have looked through all the preference files and edited property lists to no avail. Any suggestions?

And I have restarted it, repaired permissions, etc.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57 KB · Views: 59

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Firstly, right click the dock icon and select 'remove from dock'.

Then, open terminal and type the following

killall Dock

(note that capitalisation is important)

The dock should quit and re-start, and the icon should now be gone.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
That's not exactly an option. Also, clicking force quit just quits the dock. And the dock is not hagging because it works perfectly normal, so no idea why it says not responding.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 302

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wow, what an ugly Dock icon. Anyway, that's a weird problem to have. It doesn't work like that in Tiger. Putting it in the Dock doesn't show that it's open (with the triangle) and clicking it does nothing. What possessed you to do it in the first place?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
That's not exactly an option. Also, clicking force quit just quits the dock. And the dock is not hagging because it works perfectly normal, so no idea why it says not responding.

Now that IS weird.... The procedure I described SHOULD work. Hmm....

My only remaining thought is that the dock prefs may be corrupt. I've no idea whether this will work s I can't replicate the problem here, but try starting in safe mode (hold down shift). When the system gets to the desktop, delete com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.doc.db from ~/library/preferences/ then immediately reboot (normal boot this time).

Good luck! =]

nimr0d

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Just found this post through google, having the same exact problem, anyone ever come up with a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.