dock icon to hold all disks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oYx, Nov 29, 2007.

1. oYx macrumors regular

is there a way to get all the disks that finder puts on the desktop to be in one dock icon?

i am currently using hierarchical dock, so the annoying stack feature won't be a hindrance. but come to think of it, the stack feature would work nice for the disks dock icon.

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

In Finder:

Click the Go Menu -> Go To Folder... -> /Volumes -> Go

Drag the icon from the titlebar to the Dock.

3. Jestered macrumors 6502

There is also a hidden (disabled) stack that Apple apparently decided not to use. It is already there in the OS, but you have to enable it. It gives you one stack that you can change from Recent Apps, Recent Docs, Recent Servers, Favorite Volumes and Favorite Items. I really did not need it for anything other than the Volumes which is what you are asking about. I have enabled it and it works great. Not sure why Apple did not enable it with the release of Leopard, but...

Anyway, here is how you do it. It is very easy. Just one terminal command will enable it.

http://tips4mac.blogspot.com/2007/11/recent-items-stack-hidden-in-os.html

4. VoidBoi macrumors regular

5. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

excellent! ditto on apple not enabling this.

wonder why i'm not getting any emails despite subscribing to this thread when posting it. had to set the notification type again as i enter this reply.

6. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

functionally, this is the better method as it includes network shares. visually, it seems to show all my mounted volumes as network shares except for the startup volume.

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

The hidden Apple method is nice, but for some reason it shows my computer and my HD with the same name. Clicking the computer one does nothing, so is there a way to get it out of there?