Dock icon vs Finder Icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scorpious74, Sep 9, 2010.

1. scorpious74 macrumors newbie

I know this may sound like a stupid or novice question but is there a way to have a dock icon for an application be one thing and the icon that shows in the finder be something different?

When I use candybar or try to do this through the Content/Resources folder, they both end up the same.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, create an alias for the app, change the icon of the alias, then drag the alias to the Dock.

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you do that, when you launch the app the Dock icon changes back to the original, no?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.
    ScreenCap 1.PNG

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

OK, thanks. Apologies for the confusion, I've figured out why I was remembering this incorrectly: I'd tried this a while back with Thunderbird and it failed - but this was presumably because Thunderbird modifies its own Dock icon. Just tried it again and it works with apps that don’t modify the dock icon.

7. ptys macrumors newbie

ptys

Changing 'Twhirl' dock icon?

I've got the same problem with Twhirl where I've created an alternative icon, tried pasting it in 'info' and swapped the '.icns' file inside the 'package contents' but the dock goes back to the original when it's running? Is there something inside the file that I can tweak to change the dock icon?