Dock iPhone directly into top of Apple "Hi-Fi"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlanuez, May 4, 2007.

1. jlanuez macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about buying an Apple iPod Hi-Fi, mostly to use with Keynote presentations because I want really good sounding music. My question is, will my soon-to-be new iPhone dock right into the top like my current 5G Video iPod can?

2. rayward macrumors 68000

The iPhone will have the same dock connector as all iPods (bar the Shuffle, of course). It'll fit, and I'm sure you will be able to get a mask so that it sits in there nicely.

3. jlanuez thread starter macrumors 6502

Mask?

Thanks for the reply. What makes you so sure that it will be compatible (links to look at?) and what do you mean by mask?
    Thanks!

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

He means the plastic piece that makes each iPod fit correctly. There's a different one for each model. It doesn't make the actual electronic connect fit, it just lets it sit nicely and keeps the connectors from possibly easily sustaining damage.

5. neven macrumors 6502a

And you can be pretty damn confident that iPhone will work with all non-software iPod accessories (where it can physically fit). Apple will want to milk that huge, already existent accessory market all they can.

6. jlanuez thread starter macrumors 6502

That is partly my concern. That the iPhone will "conveniently" NOT fit with current accessories, like the Hi-Fi and I'll be stuck buying something specific for the iPhone.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm assuming that the Hi-Fi uses the dock inserts that come with the iPods and I'm also assuming that the iPhone will have one and that it should fit. But it all depends on the dimensions.

8. jlanuez thread starter macrumors 6502

Dimensions

OK, so I looked at the dimensions, good idea! Looks like it will fit!!!

5G, 30gb iPod:
    Size and weight (30GB)
    Height: 4.1 inches
    Width: 2.4 inches
    Depth: 0.43 inch

Weight: 4.8 ounces

iPhone:
    Height: 4.5 inches
    Width: 2.4 inches
    Depth: 0.46 inches

Weight: 4.8 ounces