Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollabit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Texas
I'm helping my teacher set up her new macbook. Being a mac user for several years and generally tech savvy, isn't hard to find solutions to problems. She's gotten a new 15" macbook pro (not retina). I was helping my teacher set up her projector with her mini display port (to VGA?) adapter, and her problem was that when it was connected the resolution was too small.

Now, seemingly randomly, her desktop background and launchpad will "scale" so that only the upper left portion is visible. However, the upper toolbar does not scale with it, and spans normally across the top of the screen. My theory, is that while the dock looks hidden, it is actually off-screen due to the scaling.

The only way I've found to get it back to normal is rebooting (several several times) and with the terminal command: killall Dock.

I have yet to replicate the problem, so if it happens again I'll be sure to post screenshots. Any help would be appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.