Dock is messed up and stubborn?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rekhyt, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Hello,
    Somehow, my dock on my MacBook (No, it is not a Hackintosh. Genuine, on Leopard.)

When I drag something out of the dock/drag something in, it poofs out/enters the dock. But when I restart the dock, it goes back to the original settings.

My current dock settings (1st config): Finder, Dashboard, Safari, Firefox, iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, Textedit, Settings, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, iTunes, and Speed Download.

When I drag something in, for example, to make something like this: Finder, Dashboard, Safari, Firefox, Flock, iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, Textedit, Settings, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, iTunes, and Flash. (SD is out, Flock and Flash is in.)

But when I log out/log in/use Mainmenu to restart the dock, it goes back to "My current dock settings". (1st config.)

What's wrong? Please help! Thanks!

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

This is a personal machine? If not, does it have Deepfreeze installed on it?

3. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, it is a personal MacBook. It is unimaged, and no configurations have been preset installed.

I clean installed Leopard since September (2008).

And I'm not quite sure what Deepfreeze is. (Thanks for the quick reply. :) )

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Your preferences are likely pooched. Trash the dock preferences from Library>Preferences>apple.com.dock.plist

Restart the machine. Make the dock changes you want, then do a test restart.

5. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. :) Does this hint of hard drive failure or something like that? :(

Update: When I dragged it to the trash, another one appeared. Is that supposed to happen? (And am I supposed to restart my MacBook or just restart my dock?)

I restarted my dock after that and it didn't work and am going to try restarting it now.