Dock is too flat

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by CosmoPilot, Jul 9, 2013.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

With parallax and the illusion of depth, the dock seems too flat and inconsistent with the rest of the home screen.

I think they should make the dock more like OSX whereas it gives a 3D appearance. What say you?

2. gingerbloke macrumors member

Two words: "Thread merge".

3. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm not trying to be one of those "the icons suck" type of people. I love what Apple has done with iOS 7. However, the dock seems out of place when compared to the rest of the home screen. As JI said, the home screen provides an appearance of depth by using layers. This makes the home screen look 3D. I for one agree the home screen feels almost 3D.

The dock however, is so flat it looks awkward when compared to the rich depth of the remaining home screen.

In OSX, the dock has a 3D appearance almost like a shelf the icons rest upon. I think iOS7 could benefit (from an aesthetic standpoint) from a similar look/feel whereas the dock extends backwards into the wallpaper with the icons sitting on top of it. Obviously, I'd keep the dock translucent as to maintain the overall feel.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

only issue I have with the dock is that the translucency is TOO much. They need to make it more transparent, then it'll probably fit better.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I actually like iOS 7's design, icons and all.

But I agree that the dock looks out of place. The color is very weird too.

Personally I would just get rid of it and put a line of some kind between the docked icons and the rest of the icons. Or make the area MORE transparent like the poster above me said. Or something.

6. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I do agree that the dock isn't that nice. I don't know why it has to take up so much space and could be clearer.

7. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

More transparency would probably work too! I'm sure it will go through a design change before GM.

8. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree. It reminds me of the dock on the first iOS version. I think they should get rid of the dock background all together and just have the apps. They should at least make it more transparent. It's way to opaque and it looks pretty bad.

9. Darkrider macrumors member

Darkrider

I agree if feels like a step back they should of kept the Mac dock look I hate that they went back to the old dock

10. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

ios 7 only shows whiners are stupid.
    whiner: i want the next ios flat because someone else whines about wanting flat and that makes me look smart by saying complex words like ske******
    the same whiner after ios7: man.. 6 was actually good, better not admit stupidity and whine again for 3d design but not mention 6 as other whiners would exclude me from their circles

11. iOSOS macrumors member

Imqgine Ive as a plastic surgeon and I a woman walks in asking for a nose job. ive says he has an idea for here. I would have kept the old dock style and just reskinned it.