Dock Management Apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roland.g, Jan 20, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Back in the 10.2 days, I used a dock management app, I think called multidock. Now, I have way more apps. It would be great if Apple included the Stacks feature that allowed you to highlight a group of apps and drag them to the left side of the dock (as demoed originally by Steve - I think with MS Office) and have stacks of apps. Then I could clean up my dock but have easy access to grouped apps. I for one am not a big fan of using keyboard apps like Quicksilver or Apples Spotlight to launch.

I am currently trying out Hierarchical Dock by Eternal Storms and Quay, both of which bring back nested folder functionality, which is great, but even those offer long lists, and I don't particularly want to create folders with aliases to create stacks from and have mulitple App category stacks on the right of the dock (AutoStacks offers this), I reserve that for folders, files, drives, etc.

So I am looking for a good Multiple Dock software solution and am interested if anyone has used any of the following, especially with Leopard, and what you think.

Dockyard, which is not yet Leopard ready, has anyone used it in 10.4 who really liked it?
    Dock Fun which does not provide any 10.5 compatability info, has anyone used this with 10.5? or in 10.4.
    Drag Thing
    RapidoStart

Dock Fun and Dockyard look the most appealing, while Drag Thing and RapidoStart don't look like exactly what I am after.

The maker of Dock Fun also has a new app called Sapiens which looks cool and I am trying out, but still misses the mark of what I want. Ideally it would be perfect to app stacks in the dock by category and click on a stack to select the app from within. I really hope we do see an implementation of this from Apple during the 10.5 upgrade cycle.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

is'nt 10.5.2 supposed to address stack's issues?

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

My understanding is that 10.5.2 will bring back nested folders as an option, but I have not heard anything about it introducing stacks of apps on the left side of the dock. I would guess that they dropped that from the beta seeds of 10.5 b/c the app would then have to move out of the stack to appear running in the dock and maybe that was somehow tricky. Though I'm not sure, obviously they had it running in the demo, I've even seen a video showing that functionality.

4. RBrockerhoff macrumors newbie

Just FYI, I'm working on this for Quay 1.1... so stay tuned. It should be out together with 10.5.2, with a beta coming out soon.