Dock memory usage puzzle

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kiwisteve, Aug 30, 2011.

1. kiwisteve macrumors newbie

I have an odd situation regarding the memory usage of the Dock on a multi-user iMac running Lion 10.7.1. When looking for processes using a lot of memory on my computer I noticed that the usage of the Dock on my login was significantly higher than the Dock running on my family's other two accounts running in the background. In fact when I first looked it was higher than Firefox 6.0 with 5 tabs open! Currently it is 211MB and theirs are about 30MB.

I tried deleting the Dock plist and db preference files, killing my Dock process, removing all the widgets from the dashboard and most of the icons from the Dock, and rebooting the computer. I even tried logging into the accounts in a different order but the result was the same. Running Activity Monitor on the other accounts while they were in the foreground shows the same result too.

The only differences I can think of are that I have administrative rights and the other accounts are standard users, and that my desktop is far more cluttered.

And just to throw a spanner in the works, as I write this I checked and found my Dock process sitting at 38Mb.... the ONLY time I have seen it less than 200MB!

My questions are: Is this difference normal? And is this a normal amount of memory usage for the Dock? If it is then why are the other accounts on the same computer using 85% less?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The other users docks are not active thus they use less memory while not being actively used.

My dock.app is currently using about 60GB.

3. kiwisteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Whether the login is in the foreground or not makes no difference.

Sorry, I might not have been clear with this bit... "Running Activity Monitor on the other accounts while they were in the foreground shows the same result too." What I meant was that MY login still uses 200+MB even when I am logged into one of the other users accounts

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm guessing you're using fast user switching ?

Do you have any apps running in the dock when you switch to another user ?

5. kiwisteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, we switch through Fast User Switching.

I generally have Firefox, Mail, iTunes, and Calendar running. One of the other accounts usually has Chrome and iTunes running, and the other has Safari, Pages, Preview, and Excel running.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Cool.

To get to the bottom of this try closing all apps in all docks and see what the dock usage is then.

7. kiwisteve thread starter macrumors newbie

Done

Mine stayed at 210MB, the others are 38 and 31.5

Force quitting the Dock process brings mine back up at 198.7

8. tcjohn2 macrumors newbie

Any resolution?

I've been fighting this for months--exactly as you described. Any solution?