Dock: Minimize Application to Icon (Advise)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rmbrown09, May 3, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

So i have it enabled, and that's great and all.

But the thing is, what are you supposed to do if you have more than one thing minimized? say 2 Safari Windows? Or the steam beta with 3 chats?

When you click to maximize you only get one, and then nothing else happens if you keep clicking with others minimized in there

Expose is nice but and you can right click on it, but is that it?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Click on the window in the Dock or does that not work?

I can click on three minimized windows in the Dock and can see them again in their full glory. Do you have a problem with that behaviour, or does it not work?

Too many "buts", which is confusing. Where do you want to right click and what is what?

Exposé is for showing all open windows, even the ones that are minimized.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Ok I just tested this out with Safari and it seems the only way other than Expose to reopen the other windows is to right-click on the application's icon in the Dock and then select the other windows that are minimized.

You can also use Dock Expose by clicking and holding on the applications icon in the Dock and it will show only that app's minimized windows at the bottom.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Am I misunderstanding something?

When I minimize a Safari window, either via CMD+M, clicking the yellow button to minimize or double clicking the title bar of Safari, the window minimizes to the Dock. To get them back, I can just click on the small icon in the Dock. Or go via Exposé of course.

[​IMG]

Does that not work?

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

The OP is using the "Minimize windows into application icon" setting in the Dock preferences in SL. You are using the old default behavior where each window is minimized into its own icon on the "system" side of the Dock.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yes.

[​IMG]

OP, just right click the application's icon on the Dock and select the window you want. That is all >8

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Good detective work there! And, as a Leopard user, just curious; is the old behavior still available in SL? Or, does one have to use the right click trick?

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

10. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

the 'old' behaviour is still the default in 10.6

in SL, just hold the primary click on the dock icon, and it'll expose all open windows for you to choose from for that particular program