Dock modification???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wayland1985, Oct 2, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Wasn't there a way to change how the dock appeared not too long ago? I thought people were complaining about the mirror look...

Anyways, is there a way (without downloading software) to give the dock a new appearance? I would like something that looks more like the dock being positioned on the side of the screen (But i want that look for the bottom of the screen).

Or is there a way to darken the dock, so that it's more of a black chrome, or gunmetal like look?

2. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type the following:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

killall Dock
    This will give you the same appearance the dock has on the sides on the bottom.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now if I were to ever want to revert to the old theme... what would I do?

And does this last through restarts too? Or is it something I'd have to enter in terminal often?

Thanks!

4. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

It's just a hidden preference that Apple didn't put in the user interface. You can revert at any time by replacing the "YES" with a "NO". There are utilities to swap between the two looks, but the most straight-forward way to access hidden preferences is via the terminal.

5. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! Works great. I try not to download software I don't need...

Another question: I remember the Menu Bar used to be semi-transparent. It seems solid now. I don't know at what point that changed (With a software update maybe?) But is the translucent feature still available???

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Desktop preferences.

7. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep.... I'm an idiot! :rolleyes:

It didn't look very translucent to me, but I guess it was all along....:eek:

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

[Wirelessly posted via iPhone G4 / Mobile Safari 1.0 with Flash. Current location: somewhere out there]

It all depends on your background.