Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I just hooked up my 17" NEC LCD monitor to my PB and I have it setup as an extended desktop. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could put the dock on that monitor also.

dmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I also have another question. Can I get the iTunes visualizer to play on my external monitor and not on my PB's screen? I like to watch that while listening to music and would like to still be able to do stuff on my PB's screen.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
dmachine said:
I also have another question. Can I get the iTunes visualizer to play on my external monitor and not on my PB's screen? I like to watch that while listening to music and would like to still be able to do stuff on my PB's screen.

I believe dragging the iTunes window to the second monitor will do the trick. It should full-screen wherever it's based.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
You could move the whole menu bar over to the second screen by just going into sys prefs, and then dragging it accross from one to the other (this will take the dock with it), but the only way that i know that you could do it separately is to set the external display below the PBs screen by going into system prefs>displays again.

Or you could set the dock to go to the right or the left instead of bottom??

As for your other question, I don't have the slightest.

Hope this helps.

::20ROGERSC::

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
As far as I am aware in my history of dual monitors, there is no way to get a dock to either: span both screens at once, or have two separate parts (one for each screen).

Therefore I think you are stuck to picking your main focal screen for use with the dock.

As for itunes, I believe an above poster was right about just making sure it's on the other monitor when you run it. You should be able to do that without any problems. If you are running into something, let us know what it is.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You'll have to live with the dock on the main monitor but you can hide it with command-option-D and show it the same way. It will rise when the mouse pointer is near. Besides that, you can move everything else away to the other monitor. Most applications don't care a whole lot while others support various resolutions only.

Aliquis

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
Utah
You can change the order of the monitors in the displays pref. Then you're menu bar and dock will still be on the same monitor, but on the extended monitor instead of the current main.

It sucks, but I hope this helps. That's what I have to do at work too. I have to set the second monitor (swap them by grabbing the icon of one and positioning in on the other side of the other.) to be your main.

joelb51

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
Yeh i wanna know how to do it too! I have an extened desktop on my imac with screen span hack...

I have seen two docks on both monitors on a Powermac...Not sure how it was done though... but its deffinetly possible

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
You can get an app that allows you to have more than one dock - I played around with it once, but in the end it proves pretty useless.
As for playing iTunes visuals over a second monitor, just drag the iTunes window onto the secondary monitor and start up the visuals fullscreen. Like someone has already said, it'll adopt the screen the player is placed on.
This is also the case for DVD player - useful tip, especially when your secondary monitor is actually a TV (as in my case).

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
MrSugar said:
As for itunes, I believe an above poster was right about just making sure it's on the other monitor when you run it. You should be able to do that without any problems. If you are running into something, let us know what it is.

I've been trying to get this to work too, but when I go fullscreen in itunes the other monitor just goes black. DVD player works fine when i go fullscreen though.

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
Aliquis said:
You can change the order of the monitors in the displays pref. Then you're menu bar and dock will still be on the same monitor, but on the extended monitor instead of the current main.

It sucks, but I hope this helps. That's what I have to do at work too. I have to set the second monitor (swap them by grabbing the icon of one and positioning in on the other side of the other.) to be your main.

not that i want to try this but.. if you switch the order of the monitors so that the dock and menu bar is on the external monitor and not on the powerbooks monitor, and you disconnect the external monitor while the dock is on it.. will the dock automaticly go to the powerbooks display, or will it dissapear

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
slinky0390 said:
not that i want to try this but.. if you switch the order of the monitors so that the dock and menu bar is on the external monitor and not on the powerbooks monitor, and you disconnect the external monitor while the dock is on it.. will the dock automaticly go to the powerbooks display, or will it dissapear

I've never done this exactly per se, but when I have my PB in extended desktop mode and then I disconnect the External monitor while it's off, everything (including the dock) is on the PB display.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
slinky0390 said:
It will go back.

ChazLM

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2005
Dockfun!

i have dockfun installed on my computer. it has this thing where you can open donelleschi dock which you could move to the other monitor. I just don't know if when you use it to open a program, if it will stay on the second monitor. Maybe you could just download it for a test run. Good Luck. here is the website... http://www.donelleschi.com/dockfun/

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
By the way, you *can* have the dock on a different monitor than the menubar, if you're willing to make it vertical. Just set the dock to be on the left or right and it will live on the leftmost or rightmost edge of the leftmost or rightmost monitor, regardless of where the menubar lives.

-vga4life

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
One cannot do visualizers on a second display. itunes (for some rediculous reason) does not support this. You can find it by searching "visualizer" in the itunes helper, and clicking the first support option.

Quote:
"Full-screen iTunes Visualizer effects only work with the primary display. Make sure the iTunes window is on the primary display before turning on full-screen visualizer effects."

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
pdpfilms said:
One cannot do visualizers on a second display. itunes (for some rediculous reason) does not support this. You can find it by searching "visualizer" in the itunes helper, and clicking the first support option.

Quote:
"Full-screen iTunes Visualizer effects only work with the primary display. Make sure the iTunes window is on the primary display before turning on full-screen visualizer effects."

Well, it sort of works on a secondary monitor. It will do it but then when it comes out of fullscreen mode it forgets how the monitors are arranged. But what people here are asking is if It's possible to have fullscreen on one monitor and still be able to use the other one. Like Right now If I go fullscreen the other one goes black.

petruza

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Hi, I'm just wanting to do what's described here.
But when I open the Display prefs, there's no option to change the order of the displays.
Also, I read here that by clicking on sys prefs and then dragging the menu bar... I can't do that.
I wouldn't mind to move the menu bar along with the dock to the seconday display.
I don't have a MacBook, mine is desktop with two monitors.
Thanks!

[EDIT] I found it, sorry. IT's in displays/arrangement. the little tiny white menu bar, you can drag THAT menu bar, not the actual one.
bye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.