Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
My dock is being a bit temperamental. It's set to hide by default. On the main desktop, it shows whenever I move to the bottom of the screen. On fullscreen app desktops, however, it only sometimes appears. I have to move the mouse around a few times at the bottom edge, and then sometimes it comes up.

Any idea what's going on, or is this a bug?

Thanks.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
You have to make two motions in order to have the dock show up.

Move the cursor to the bottom of the screen, pause, then move down again. I'm guessing this is to stop from accidentally showing the dock while in full screen. It feels kind of odd, especially if you're using a mouse.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Interesting. I could probably get used to that, except that the second gesture is only necessary if NOT on the desktop. Truth be told, I'm getting a little tired of having to remember which desktop I'm on in order to do certain things.

Thanks!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Yeah, the dock has been temperamental for me in Lion too, especially with apps in full screen mode (sometimes it appears, sometimes not, sometimes it gets stuck visisble even though hiding is turned on).

Honestly it's driving me to just use Launcher instead, maybe that's what they want. One problem with Launcher (vs. Dock) though is you can't drag files onto icons because it takes over the screen.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
\It feels kind of odd, especially if you're using a mouse.
It's the only way one can use the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom. If the dock popped up you wouldn't be able to grab it.

Not saying I condone this method but I can why it's coded this way.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
You have to make two motions in order to have the dock show up.

Move the cursor to the bottom of the screen, pause, then move down again. I'm guessing this is to stop from accidentally showing the dock while in full screen. It feels kind of odd, especially if you're using a mouse.

Thanks for this. The dock thing in fullscreen mode was really annoying. Now at least I know how to get it to appear. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.