Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Need some help with saving Dock preferences - Possibly in a different location + I may call for help if I've done something not preferable... Sorry for the essay.

Running Mavericks on an early 2011 MacBook Pro.. Ive replaced the SuperDrive with a 500GB Momentus XT. Ive changed the location of my Home Folder to this HDD, so all my document folders point to this HDD.. All is good.

Until I find I'm needing apps that are only available on Mountain Lion. After some thought about my options, I decide to partition my system drive and install Mountain Lion on a smaller partition.

Again, all good. Removed a heap of apps, as this install can be pretty light.

However, I was wanting access to all my documents, so I decide to point the Mountain Lion (second partition) Home Folder to the Momentus XT, like the main Mavericks system...

Everything seems fine. I can startup in either Mavericks, or Mountain Lion on each partition. Each has access and points to the Momentus XT - Document drive. Apps for either install, just appear on that system..

Heres my problem - The Dock preferences seem to be saved in the user/home folder (i.e., my shared Momentus XT). So when I change/delete icons on one, when I start up from the other disk, the dock will look the same.

-

Q - Is there any way for me to have a Dock for my Mavericks partition, and a Dock for my Mountain Lion partition? Each with different preferences? Preferably, save in the system partition?

-

And, please am I going to come into any other problems here?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Rather than link your user account folders you could link their contents

eg

lets say you have 2 accounts bob and dan
right now you linked bob -> dan
instead
link bob/documents -> dan/documents and
link bob/music -> dan/music
etc...

just make sure you don't link your bob/Library -> dan/Library

Then all your settings will be separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.