Dock problems. (Mac Version 10.6.8 OSX)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lucyyluu, Jul 10, 2011.

1. lucyyluu macrumors newbie

Recently my dock has been having problems. When I turn my macbook on most of the time my dock will not be working. Neither will command+tab. And my computer will lag like crazy. Also, if I go into the apple menu and try to go under dock, it will load forever and lags.
    I have to restart my computer four or five times for my dock to work.

Thanks.

2. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Hi, I would bring your computer to the Genius Bar if you want the best results. But if your dock and computer overall was working before, then you have no need to upgrade your hardware. The first thing I would do before anything else is shut down your computer, and turn it on, and then IMMEDIATELY hold down Command + Option + R + P. Your computer will turn off when you hold this down, and turn back on. Let it cycle through this 3 times. Then, if you are still having this problem, open up the program, Disk Utility, select the hard drive that has Mac OS X on it (probably Mac HD, or whatever you changed the name to, NOT the hard drive that says the manufacturer's name next to it), and then click "Repair Disk Permissions" and let it run through that. Then, restart your Mac. And if you are STILL having the problem, I would recommend backing up your Mac, then wiping your hard drive, reinstalling Mac OS X on it, and then restoring from the back up. I had a friend whose copy of Aperture from the Mac App Store kept crashing, and this wiping and reinstalling method worked. Good luck!