Dock - Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wustephen, Nov 10, 2011.

1. wustephen macrumors newbie

I just got my computer reimaged by my school. Now I can't rearrange apps in my dock. They move, but then they move back. I also cant remove apps, or change the applications stacks to a folder view rather than a stack view.

Please help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Delete the following:
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
    Then launch Terminal.app and type the following, then press Enter on your keyboard:
    killall Dock​

3. wustephen, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011

wustephen thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, doesnt work. it just goes back to the original dock with all the apps and stuff i want to get rid off.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Let's try this one at a time. Give one example of an app you want to change on the Dock and we'll take it from there.

5. spacedrabbit macrumors member

Is it a school machine? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you an image where you were a Standard user with Parental controls enabled. One of the things they can restrict is how you can interact with the Dock.

Attached Files:

6. wustephen, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

wustephen thread starter macrumors newbie

I can dock my own apps, like Google Chrome, but if i try to remove for example iCal, I try to drag if off and it just flies back onto the dock.

In regards to parental control, I tried turning it off with no results. Please help ASAP. Thanks
    I'm also an Administrator.

EDIT: Also, if i try to rearrage the icons from Finder to Microsoft Word, when i restart, they go back to arrangement in the photo. I also can't change the stacks, from stack to folder view.

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What happens if you right-click on iCal and select the option to not keep it in the Dock?

If you're an Admin user, you should be able to turn off parental controls. Try creating a new account and see if these problems exist on the new account.

8. wustephen thread starter macrumors newbie

The option isn't there, for apps I put there myself it's there, but the ones that can't be remover don't have that option....

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like Parental Controls. Have you tried creating another account, to see if it happens there, too?

10. wustephen thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried making another account. I have the exact same Problem.