Dock question for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powpow, Nov 19, 2008.

1. powpow macrumors member

Any hacks on getting this Kensington Notebook Dock to work with my MacBook Pro? It says Windows only, but I'm wondering there is a workaround.

Thanks!

2. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

I'm not sure what the point is. Parallel printer ports went out about 4 years ago I thought? Other than that, you have a 4 port USB port and an ethernet jack that I doubt is GigaE. And I don't know about you, but I have way more than 4 USB devices. So you have one thing to plug in rather than two? And that's debatable. I think you'd be at the same point buying a good 8 port USB hub. This thing does nothing for display, firewire, and sound.

3. powpow thread starter macrumors member

I hear you, but I guess the point is this one is free and I would use it just for USB/laptop raiser if I could make it work.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Silly person, wanting a dock with a MacBook/Pro.

I know how you feel. I've wanted one for years, but they just never seem to come out for Apple stuff. There is one, but it's crazy expensive.

If you want something to raise your laptop, there are plenty of stands. I know, it's a crappy option.

5. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

Yep, I would love a proper dock too. But I don't think this is it. However, if it were free then I'd probably try to make it work.

6. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Well I was in the same boat. Here is what I did.

MBP stand. It really doesn't matter which.
    Apple USB KeyBoard (It has two USB Ports. Use one for the printer and one for an iPod or whatever you use, but don't need to take with you.
    Apple Mighty Mouse - BlueTooth
    I use the wifi card for internet. With an N-router, you won't see a huge difference. B/G are fine of browsing and some intensive internet. For online gaming, nothing beats a LAN. (N comes close.)

It gives you a kind of desktop feel. All I really need is a external monitor, but I'm waiting to save up for that.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apples new 24 inch monitor fits the bill relatively nicely.

Supply all connections (minus firewire) to the machine through the monitor (mag safe, audio via USB(and hub) , with display port).

Very slick solution IMO. Not what I wanted,something like a PC esque solution (with dedicated bottom port and docking station).

They need to make a pro version/add on which incorporates a firewire 800 hub (and a fw400 port which should be backwards compatible).

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Going from free to $900 is a huge bump.

9. floats macrumors newbie

I use this one with my unibody MBP and it works just fine for ethernet, audio and, of course, as a powered USB hub. I don't recall having to install any drivers for it, either. It just worked. I used to have a Dell Inspiron E1705 that I used it with. I'd love to have a more elegant solution, though.

Given that the unibody MB and MBP have all the ports and power plug on the left side, something like this from BookEndz should fit the bill. I wonder if they're planning on coming out with a product for the new MB/MBPs?

10. CrownSeven macrumors member

Go get yourself a KVM switch. I've got 4 computers inlcuding my mbp, so a KVM switch comes in very handy, and it works just fine with the MBP (keyboard, mouse, video, audio, mic).