Dock question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by inthecup, Jun 10, 2010.

1. inthecup macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 will be my 1st iPhone. I have a dock I use for my iPod, will this be ok to use with my new iPhone or do I need a new Apple iPhone 4 dock? Thanks

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Is it a universal dock? If so, I'm sure it will work and Apple will probably release an adapter for it.

3. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Are you saying that the iphone 3g and 3gs dock are not compatible with iphone 4 ?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i wouldn't be quite sure about that. i don't believe that there are any adapters for the past three generations of iPhone to allow them to work in the universal dock, the original iPhone had its own dock and the 3G/3GS have the same dock.

considering the shift in form-factor, yes, i'd guess that there will be a new dock for iPhone 4.

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Definitely not. The 3G/3GS dock is designed to be conformed to those models ONLY. iPhone 4 has been redesigned, and obviously will not fit in the 3G/3GS dock, which is why they sell the "universal dock", which will fit any Apple iPod or iPhone device with the help of an adapter.

iPhone 1st Gen dock adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA722LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTA4NDgwMDU
    iPhone 3G/3GS dock adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB546G/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MTA4NDc4ODU

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I have the 3G dock so if I have to I might break out the Dremel to make the iPhone 4 fit.