Dock related problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jwbro, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jwbro macrumors newbie

I have no clue how to describe my problem so i will try my best.
    Ever since my dad set some parental controls on my mac mini running 10.5.8 My dock only shows Finder, my applications and the shared folder. I cannot put anything on my desktop or the dock.Programs i downloaded off the internet would not show up on the dock or anywhere else where i can easily access it, like it used to before my dad set the parental controls. The only way i can find my program is that i use the find function in the finder.
    Can someone please help me so that i can reset the dock back to its original state. I also don't have the file com.apple.dock.plist if thats relevant

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Programs don't show up in the Dock automatically. You have to drag them onto the Dock from the Applications folder. If you can't do that, it's probably because your dad locked you out of it.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It might be, but it's also false. You absolutely do have that file, guaranteed.

4. jwbro thread starter macrumors newbie

i've tried looking for it via users>library>preferences and used the find function but still could not find it. But i do have a file called com.apple.dockfixup.plist but i don't want to mess with any files that i do not recognize which would be just about all of them.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

It's there.