Dock resets!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LEVENDIZ, Apr 12, 2010.

1. LEVENDIZ macrumors member

Hi well after i login on my mac i find my dock reset to the default apps...
    Why does this happen. and how can i fix this?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Explain how you went about customizing it.

Also, always provide your OS version when posting a question.

The more clues you can give, the better.

3. LEVENDIZ thread starter macrumors member

OSX 10.6.3... i didn't customise the dock it just started removing the apps i had down there and putting default apps ( Finder, Dashboard, Safari, iChat, iTunes, System Preferences, Trash)

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's called customizing. Anything you manually added to or deleted from the Dock is an act of customization. And reverting to the default icons is reversing the customizing.

So, what did you "have down there" and how did you get them there, and which side of the dashed line were they on?

5. LEVENDIZ thread starter macrumors member

I had World Of Warcraft down there and ichat was not there at all. Now WoW is gone and ichat is on there :(

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, it's easy to accidently remove something from the Dock, and things could appear that you did not place there, if it's reverting to the defaults. One way to make it revert is to remove the com.apple.dock.plist file from your preferences folder. But if you did not do that, I'm at a loss.

Have you tried it again? Remove iChat by dragging it off, and restore WOW by draggin it to the left side of the dashed line. Restart immediately and see if those changes were saved. If so, then the previous behavior was likely caused by you accidently.