Dock Resetting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by X-Factor, Jun 23, 2007.

1. X-Factor macrumors member

X-Factor

Everytime I restart or logout of Mac OS X my dock settings seem to reset themselves. I don't usually shutdowm my iBook but I needed to for that new security release that recently came out. I don't know if it that had something to do with it, or maybe the problem was already there but since I never restarted I just never noticed :confused: . Anyone have an idea of what this could be?

P.S. Running Mac OS 10.3.9 :apple:

2. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I see you're on Panther. It's happened to me several times on Tiger, but its not related to these updates. In the past when updates had not been released for months. Next day I switch the Mac on the dock would be back to default, then when I load up iChat its also been reset but still with my details filled in. Though it acts like its the first time I've set it up. Same with the menu items. Sometimes the clock has been set not to show.

Some I have read it was owner privileges reset, dunno how. I'm betting some how the plist's got reset. Same occurances happen if you remove the plist for those.

Don't know what causes it but it sorts itself out again, after you put them back to the way you like. It's maybe happened of a total 3 times since Tiger's release.

3. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Never. Which is a silly thing to do from the start. :)

The desktop does not reset, background or so. Original background and settings remain etc. Only two things have been reset in the past like maybe 6 months ago. The clock was set to not show but the other menu items remain, and the dock. Also I noticed when the dock was reset, the iMove HD icon had a question mark in dark grey. Yet in the finder it has its icon.