Dock shifts windows to the side

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GreenFrog, Dec 12, 2010.

1. GreenFrog macrumors member

Aug 22, 2008
    I set the dock to appear on the left side of my screen with auto-hide turned on and magnification turned off. It's not at full size.

I like to keep my windows maximized such that they take up the entire screen. What I've noticed, however, is that when I put the dock on the sides and open a window for any application (Safari, outlook, etc), it'll be shifted to the right just a little bit. This makes part of the desktop background visible, as the application window isn't covering the entire screen. I know it's not a big deal, but it kind of bugs me and I keep on moving the windows back to maximize the screen, but it keeps on shifting to the right.

How do I prevent this? I thought it might be because the dock was too big, but really, it's not.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Mac windows aren't designed to run full screen, like Windows. Some space is always reserved near the Dock for magnification. I used to run everything full screen in Windows, but now I find it far more efficient to not even try that with Mac OS X. It takes a bit of adjustment, but you'll get used to it and after a while, you'll find it more productive.
  3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Dec 13, 2007
    Depends what size your screen is really...

OP, there's nothing you can do about the gap.
  4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's just the way OS X is. Put the dock on the bottom of the screen and windows don't go all the way to the bottom. It annoyed me enough that I moved my dock to the left side. I don't like full screen windows anymore so that was a solution for me.