Dock Shuffle

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChaosCon, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ChaosCon macrumors newbie

Hey all -

I've recently noticed some strange behavior in my dock - occasionally, after doing something related to system startup (startup, wake from sleep, etc.) I'll notice the dock starts to shuffle/slide around like a new program is opening itself up - except nothing ever does. It seems like whatever is trying to open quits itself before the icon can appear on the right end of my permanent dock icons. So I was wondering if anybody knew how to track down this errant program and, if need be, kill it. I was poking around in Console, but that's still virgin territory to me. I really have no idea what I'm looking for there, or even if it's the right place to look! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~con

2. St Soichiro macrumors regular

You might try looking for Start-up items in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items.

3. ChaosCon thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have iTunesHelper and Logitech Control Center, but those have been around for ages, so I don't think either one of them is the problem =\

4. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Perhaps the CrashReporter log in the Console might shed some light, but this is fast approaching the limits of my knowledge. Sorry.