Dock + Sleeve or Case + Sleeve?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by theTechnician, Apr 11, 2010.

1. theTechnician macrumors member

I'm getting an iPad soon and was wondering what you guys think is the best combination.
    At first I was going to get a case, sleeve, and dock. Then, I realized that obviously I can't dock the iPad when it has a case on it.
    So now I can't decide whether I should ditch the dock, get a hard or silicone case (not a big fan of portfolios), and then get a sleeve for traveling from place to place...

Or

Screen protector, invisible shield for the back, and the dock. I think the dock is awesome, because the iPad seems like something that needs to be put on display.

What do you guys think?

2. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

+1

I just pre-ordered my 64 GB 3G iPad last night and have been pondering such a question. I feel like I want to invest in some sort of case/sleeve now, but then I'll have $80 invested in something and for another $50 I could have a damn nice Vaja for that matter.

I've never been a fan of silicone covers, but it might be different w/ the iPad. I thought about a sleeve for carry-around protection...but then I began to think about portfolios. I'd rather invest in a great case upfront so I'm not buying something to get me by only to turn around and have to do something different in the long run.

Decisions, decisions.

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

4. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

That's not a bad looking sleeve, honestly. I bit nicer than your typical neoprene one. I wonder how the fit would be if the iPad is in a portfolio.

The biggest thing I hate about a portfolio is it takes away from the overall feel of the iPad itself, unless you take it out which could be a pain to deal with over and over.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Oh yeah a sleeve plus silicone case would be the best combo, i have the Incase Slip Sleeve right now and waiting on some review samples for silicone cases to come in..

6. theTechnician thread starter macrumors member

Decisions, indeed.

That's exactly how I feel. I'd rather have either a case and a sleeve, or just a sleeve as the iPad is just so cool looking...

But, would you choose a sleeve and a case, and lose functionality of the dock versus. being able to dock, but only having a sleeve?

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Oh yeah of course, you can always get the BookArc dock and dock with a case on..

8. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Interesting idea. Could you dock it so the screen isn't blocked if it's in that style of dock? Man I wish the Apple dock would allow for at least a silicon case.

I never thought I'd labor over a case solution, but this one is proving to be a tough one. I've seen how the backside of my iPhone InCase slider has turned out, and don't want the back of my iPad looking the same way. I have to get some sort of encompassing protection. Now whether that is a silicon + slide case or a portfolio, I'm not sure.

9. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

10. freddy425 macrumors regular

when I get my iPad the only time I see it really seeing anytime outside of my house or apartment at school, I will be taking it while traveling where I will have a screen protector and the incase convertible book jacket packed inside my backpack.

however when around the apartment or house it will spend time both in and out of the incase.

I will probably invest in the dock because i am not afraid of anything happening to it in my apartment, and think it looks really sharp standing up in the dock