Dock & Stacks completey transparent/empty

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pierce, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Pierce macrumors newbie

Pierce

Has anyone seen this before? Every once in a while my dock becomes transparent and my stacks become empty as well. Notice how my dock just has a transparent background with an outline. I am running the latest Leopard update and I don't have any mods to my dock or stacks, its all the default configuration. The fix is that I have to restart. This is on a 24in iMac Running Leopard 10.5.1.

Any ideas? TIA

Attached Files:

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Your dock looks modified to me... clearly much darker than the default greyish one.

This may be the issue.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Read the post...

To the OP, I recommend repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility :)

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah I read the post, but look at the dock. That is NOT the default dock.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it clearly is the original dock. the OP said the dock disappears. so, it doesn't look like the original dock because the original dock is gone!

to the OP: have you made any changes to the dock's resources or used CandyBar or anything similar? did psychofreak's suggestion help? is the problem resolved when you log out and then log back in or do you actually have to restart to fix it?

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Oh yeah, you're right... good catch. I did not read the post clearly enough. Good luck!

7. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

This happens to me from time to time (the reflective dock change, not the missing stacks). It started shortly after running a script that changes the dock from 3d to 2d and back again. It also started after running Dockulicious even after reverting back to the restore file. One of these things has something to do with it for sure I would assume.

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

what does that actually do? :p newbie question probably..

9. Pierce thread starter macrumors newbie

Pierce

Sorry guys, I forgot about this thread. This is the original dock, I have not made any changes to the dock and I don't use CandyBar or anything similar.

The problem is only solved whenever I restart. It rare when it happens and I haven't been able to diagnose the pattern of how/when it happens. Also, Im not sure what Disk Utility would do for a fix??? :confused:

10. adom macrumors 6502

yea man its happened to me before. i had to reboot. it happened after I had been in front row, if I recall. bit annoying!

11. swish692 macrumors newbie

it also happens to me. maybe 1 in 5 times when i reawaken my mac from sleep, the dock becomes transparent. even when typing "killall Dock" into terminal, which theoretically would refresh the dock, does not solve it. the only solution is to reboot, which isn't too much of a problem tbh.

btw, i have never run any dock modifiers or changed any settings, apart from dock animation and magnification which are defaults in the system preferences. i have only had my mac for 3 months and this has happened maybe 5 or 6 times. any ideas???

edit: sorry i hadn't noticed how old this topic was!

12. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Aha! The mere admission that you know CandyBar
    obviously means you used it ;)

13. Island Roots macrumors regular

This used to happen to me on my Intel Core 2 Duo aluminum iMac until an update resolved the issue (not sure which update it was - it's been several months since I've seen it come up). I used to get it a couple times per day but like I said, it hasn't happened for several months now.

14. MotleyPete macrumors regular

It's Dock Elm Disease. You need to prune the old apps right back to the stems and overwinter the dock in a greenhouse.

15. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Does running:

Code:
    killall Dock
    in terminal solve the problem? It would be a quicker fix than having to restart your Mac.

16. mitch90 macrumors newbie

this problem keeps happening to me and ive only had my 24'' imac for a month now and the dock becoming transparent has happened like 5 times already. im on the latest of everything so i dont get why this is happening...

are there any solutions for this problem?