Dock unavailable?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sportykid2332, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

Hey quick question, so I was pretty far up in the line yesterday (I'd say 15-20ish) and when I got in the apple store, I was happy to see that they still had everything I wanted-except the iPad 2 Dock. The guy helping me looked around for awhile and then asked the manager who said they didn't get any in. I thought this was odd. Was the dock supposed to be a launch accessory too or am I mistaken? Thanks!

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I noticed that, too. I finally decided to try the dock I already have at home and it seems to work just fine for the new iPad just as it does for my original iPad. I am definitely confused about the whole iPad 2 dock business, as I am wondering if in fact it is still the same dock anyway...?

3. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Same story with me...I may try another Apple store. But when you check the online Apple Store, it states at least 1 week for delivery. So I guess it's safe to assume they aren't in the stores yet. ... just my take.

4. audiophile42 macrumors member

The store I was at last night didn't get any docks in either. I tried a different store today, same story.

I really want a dock for this thing, especially with how the connector is placed on the back curve.

5. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Same here, I purchased my iPad at the Cherry Hill Apple store in NJ and they didn't have any docks.

6. kwarren Guest

No docks in SoCal, either. Bit the bullet and ordered online.

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I'm in San Diego and the Apple store I went to had them in stock. I'm not sure how many since I was pretty close to the front of the line and the Apple associate gathered together everything I was interested in.

I didn't have a dock for my first iPad, so it was normally left laying flat on my night stand charging at night. It's nice to have it up-right this time and less likely to get damaged. It works well with the smart cover on too, but only when closed. That was a little disappointing since thought I would be able to display something while charging.

Another think I noticed, is that when you place the iPad in the dock, the way the edge of the iPad 2 curves makes it difficult getting the connector to go in the first time. It makes me concerned about scratching the edge the iPad when I try. Hope this helps.

8. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I don't think many people realize that there IS a distinctly different dock for the iPad 2....and that this is not yet available in the Apple retail stores or anywhere else. It is easy to become confused! The docks in the Apple stores right now just say "iPad Dock." I think that when the new one is released it will say on the box "iPad 2 Dock." I can use my iPad 2 on my current dock but am definitely going to be buying the new iPad 2 dock when it is available.

10. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

It's odd that my order from weeks ago isn't due to ship until next week but the store currently lists the availability as shipping in 1-2 weeks. That's about the same as if I ordered today.

11. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

might be iPad 1 docks though.

On a sidenote, does anyone know whether the iPad 1 dock could maybe actually fit an iPad 2 + smartcover (folded to the back) better than an iPad 2 dock?
    After all, the iPad 1 was thicker

12. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I tried it without the smart cover on it, my iPad2 has a bestskinever on the back, and it was hard to put it in there. It's angled wrong or something, probably because the dock is a straight slope, while the iPad has a curved back... if that makes sense. Once it's in there it will stay, but I don't want to try again incase I break or damage the dock connector, I think it left a mark next to it, but it could be me being paranoid :/

13. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Apple didn't have the dock on the 25th when it launched over here in the uk, I want one as it's a bit tricky to connect with the sloped edge.

14. kwarren Guest

I ordered my dock on the 11th after I got back from the store and just received a shipment notification.

Looks like it's scheduled for April 7th delivery after it's made its way from Shenzhen.

15. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I got the shipping notice for mine this morning, should be here by the middle of next week. I ordered on the 11th.

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

That's good to know the iPad 2 dock will soon be here -- when I was at the Apple store yesterday I looked to see if they had them yet and no go..... I agree, the dock for the original iPad is usable, but I will be relieved when I get the one properly designed to really fit the iPad 2.

17. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Same here; ordered early on the 11th. Mine finally shipped today with a Wednesday delivery.

18. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

This is encouraging. I just called my local Apple store and still none in stock, but hopefully soon.