Dock vs Mission Control?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by VydorScope, Nov 11, 2011.

1. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

I have been on Lion for about a week now on my iMac and noticed an odd behavior. When I open an app it no longer appears in the doc, and if it was in the doc already, it no longer has the little arrow under it to say it is open.

This is not happening with ever app, for example Chrome, and terminal both have arrows under them, but MS Word does not. Calabri, Yahoo, and other apps do not even show in the doc no matter if they are running or not.

They all show in mission control fine.

How do I get the Dock working again? Thanks!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As for the arrows which are balls or dots in my opinion, there should be a setting the dock prefs for showing them or not.
    I still run SL and have no intention of changing that so I cannot test it but maybe the ball only shows if there are open windows. Word with closed Windows might not show a ball.
    Although I got the impression it was all or nothing on those status ball thingys from reviews and such.

3. VydorScope, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011

VydorScope thread starter macrumors regular

VydorScope

Yes there is an option for them, and I checked that. Under SL the arrow was there only when the program was open, and went away when closed. In Lion I am never seeing the arrows at all for SOME programs others it is there.

Cleared up after a reboot.

4. VydorScope thread starter macrumors regular

VydorScope

This happened again but I found a better way to fix it:

BETTER FIX:

Open terminal and type

Code:
    sudo killall -KILL Dock
    It will prompt you for your password, feed it that and then your dock will disappear. Give it a min and it will come back and be working again.