Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Occasionally I'll find that if my cursor just accidently brushes against the dock, the dock will quickly slide in and out, but the name of the app that the cursor touched will stick and stay extended over the desktop. Only re-touching the dock and relieasing it will clear the app name off the screen. Has anyone else noticed this?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Never had this on my MacBook Pro. The only issues I've had with the dock are Firefox occasionally refusing to maximise unless I kick it hard, and occasionally getting stuck in magnification if I sweep past it. When I had a PowerBook, occasionally the Finder icon would go walkabouts and float off to the left hand side of the dock. Never had the issue you described on any builds of OS X (I've run 4 versions).

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Occasionally I'll find that if my cursor just accidently brushes against the dock, the dock will quickly slide in and out, but the name of the app that the cursor touched will stick and stay extended over the desktop. Only re-touching the dock and relieasing it will clear the app name off the screen. Has anyone else noticed this?

yes
I just try to keep my open app windows away from the dock so when the cursor heads on over there it doesn't disturb the dock.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
When I'm going to throw something away or eject something, sometimes the dock may tuck halfway back into its spot (MBPv1) so you can only choose half of the trash or half of the eject button.

picture1fi7.png

I think its sort of wierd, but it shows that it's not stuck to strict code and has a small life of its own, I guess...

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Happens to me occasionally, usually if there's a lot of Dashboard widgets open, or Expose has been used a lot recently. It's harmless, unless the Dock actually freezes, in which case, just `killall Dock` and you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.