Dock won't remove items. Help Please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ezkemo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Ezkemo macrumors newbie

Today when I turned on my computer I noticed that two icons I had remove from the dock yesterday via dragging them off (cloud of smoke) were back. So I removed them from the dock again and did "killall Dock". They were back again (firefox and trillian). Well I uninstalled Trillian as well as repaired my disk permissions in the disk utility. That still didn't work. Firefox and trillian remain on the dock after restarting finder, killing dock, and even restarting the computer. No matter how many times I drag them off, they will reappear after some kind of restart. Trillian, however, is now a grey question mark because I uninstalled it.

I also checked the permissions on my HD and Home folder. I was the owner of both with read & write access. I dont understand why this is happening. Can anybody help me out please? Sorry about the long paragraph.

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Did you throw the application into an appcleaner? to totally get rid of all components of the application?

3. Ezkemo thread starter macrumors newbie

No I just dragged it to the trash and emptied it. I also noticed I can't put any icons onto the dock either. They just get deleted when the dock is restarted. I'm also getting a lot of errors with my disk repair. It looks like ALOT of files are in the wrong places and disk repair isn't fixing them.

Should I just backup my data and clean install OSX?

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

so basically your dock is stuck in a specific "shape" and won't change?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

What's in your System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items?

You can remove something from the Dock, but if they're still set to automatically open when you log in, they'll open ...which puts them back on the Dock.