Dockable laptop with more power?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by SilentPanda, May 11, 2009.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What if.... Apple made something like a netbook/MBA that was cheapish... that you could then bring home and dock into a mac pro? It would then be able to use the processing from both machines together (maybe via Grand Central). Similar to what docking stations do now but the docking station gives the laptop more computing power. The desktop most likely would not work (except maybe via networking for storage) without the laptop.

Of course the dock would be optional. But it would give you both an on the go computer along with a powerful desktop. Maybe they could find a slick way to integrate it so the laptop screen is used as the main monitor or something. I dunno.

I think there was a mockup a while back possibly with an iMac...

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given the speed of LAN these days, I think a local distributed computing framework would work better. This would be machine-independent, only requiring fast ethernet. Bring back NXHost-ing, I say!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Thats quite an interesting idea, but how would the 'main computer' harness the power of the laptop in an efficient manner? Wouldn't it waste CPU cycles just to gain access to the additional CPU. Or would it work more like Snow Leopard where the main computer could say off load a certain application of process to the laptop CPU?

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

would be nice, but i don't think it'll happen. let's get apple to make a netbook/tablet first, then worry about a docking station for it