Docked MBP often will not wake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by codeman73, Jun 11, 2011.

1. codeman73 macrumors newbie

I've recently switched from a PC to a Mac. I got a 13" MBP and one of the Henge docks. I'm not sure if the problem at this point is the dock, or my understanding of the Mac's sleep/wake function. But after being asleep or turned off for a long time, it often won't wake. My understanding was that when the MBP is closed and is connected to an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor, that it should wake when the monitor is turned on and/or a key is struck on the keyboard. Sometimes when this happens the external monitor is blue, which tells me it is getting some kind of signal from the mac, because other times the monitor has a floating display that says 'check signal cable' or something, which tells me it's not getting any signal from the Mac. In all these cases, it usually is resolved when I take the mac out of the dock and then re-insert it into the doc. But I don't want to have to do that all the time, or every day. It will also usually work (meaning wake up when a key is struck) when it's been left for shorter periods. I don't know if it works then because it's in a different category of sleep mode or what.

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

3. EMJR macrumors newbie

Same problem here

I have a 17 in MBP and Henge Docks and I am having the same issue.
    I like the space I save with the dock but when the screen saver is on for a while sometimes I have to pull it out of the dock to wake it up.

Since I also have a (made for PC) Logitech MX 5500 bluetooth KB & mouse running thru a Starview DVI USB KVM switch I thought it was my setup but without the docking station it works fine.

Since I am also new to the MBP I am wondering if there is a wake on lan option I can use?

I will play with it another week and see if I can resolve it or it has to go back.