MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Docker today announced that it has launched a new version of Docker Desktop for Mac with Apple silicon support, allowing developers to use the Docker software on the M1 MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini.

docker-for-mac.png

Prior to launching, the version of Docker Desktop for Mac with M1 compatibility has been available as a technical preview, and Docker says that testers have found the software to be faster and quieter.

The Apple silicon version of Docker is also "just as easy" to get up and running on an M1 Mac, allowing developers to rapidly code and test with consistency between development and production environments. Developers can build and run end-to-end on Arm architecture from Docker Desktop on M1 Macs to Arm-based cloud servers like AWS Graviton 2.

Docker Captain Ajeet Singh Raina said that the new software will "let you do everything you've been able to do on a Mac already, and you'll be able to do it faster and with less noise."

Docker for Mac [Apple Silicon] can be downloaded from the Docker website.

Article Link: Docker Desktop for Mac Updated With Apple Silicon Support

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
I'm just an ordinary user. I get the Docker is something useful for developers. But does it have any use for "regular" people? Is it comparable in any way to a virtual machine? Can a Mac user run apps built for other operating systems?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I'm just an ordinary user. I get the Docker is something useful for developers. But does it have any use for "regular" people? Is it comparable in any way to a virtual machine? Can a Mac user run apps built for other operating systems?
It is used for single purpose VMs. For example: many web platforms have 3 parts: a database, php engine, and web server. With Docker, you can create 3 pseudo-VMs for those tasks and have them all running. It cannot replace something like Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Sorta, it's a VM for individual applications. I personally wouldn't have a need for it on Mac, but on my UnRaid Server I have a dozen Docker contrainers including apps like Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Deluge, Unifi Controller, Homebridge.

I could see Homebridge being useful for the average person on a mac using homekit stuff.

Reactions: hipnetic

darthdrinker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004

Developer person here. ;) In laymen terms you can think of it as a sort of lightweight virtual machine. Theoretically you could use it as an end consumer, but I don't know any practical use case. The container itself could run software that is not able to run on your mac(linux or windows) But it would not be able to access any of the hardware in your system. So it can only access anything inside the container. You still need quite some knowledge of networking and operating systems to run these responsibly on your computer. The main reason is for dev environments and off course on servers where they are widely used to run small compartmentalized pieces of software in clustered environments more easily.

sdz

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Developer person here. ;) In laymen terms you can think of it as a sort of lightweight virtual machine. Theoretically you could use it as an end consumer, but I don't know any practical use case. The container itself could run software that is not able to run on your mac(linux or windows) But it would not be able to access any of the hardware in your system. So it can only access anything inside the container. You still need quite some knowledge of networking and operating systems to run these responsibly on your computer. The main reason is for dev environments and off course on servers where they are widely used to run small compartmentalized pieces of software in clustered environments more easily.
All explanations starting with virtual machines are completely wrong and steer people in the wrong direction.

the architecture of containers should nothing be of interest or importance for the common computer users.

and I don't understand why it is covered by macrumors.

darthdrinker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
All explanations starting with virtual machines are completely wrong and steer people in the wrong direction.

the architecture of containers should nothing be of interest or importance for the common computer users.

If this persons wants to find out more there is enough information on the internet. It is however a very technical concept and therefore quite useless to discuss in detail here, hence my disclaimer in the response thank you. :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Because Macs are used by a lot of developers, as is Docker. Having Apple Silicon Docker support is of interest.

What is a 'common computer user'? Someone who uses email and internet to look at cute animals on social media?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002

Lots of Mac users do web development and other programming, and Docker is a very important tool for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.