Docking/Clamshell Mode 2015 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smc333, Jun 14, 2015.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hello All,

I wanted to get some opinions on docking this particular model. I am stationary 99% of the time with this machine, and I could use the extra screen real-estate. I'm looking at this ViewSonic monitor:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RPJOQQ8...olid=UOMZJ709IZSL&coliid=I11T3FA0QKFCXN&psc=1

My main concern is overheating. I know that the HDMI/Displayport are hardwired to the dGPU, so that will run full time. Any chance of heating problems with this? I've had the logic board replaced once under warranty so far, so I am a bit fearful, given how warm this thing does tend to run whenever the dGPU is switched on.

This machine is immensely powerful, and though I'd love to upgrade to the latest and greatest, there's absolutely no way I can possibly justify it, I have such basic uses, and the 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD are probably capable of lasting me another 5 years, so I want to prolong the life of the machine as long as possible. Ideally, I would like to switch it out for a 13" rMBP in the future, to have the reliability of solely Intel graphics and better portability when really needed, but it seems like Skylake is worth waiting for.

Thanks

2. bobbie424242 macrumors member

Generally speaking, all rMBP are designed to run in clamshell mode, so overheating
    should not be an issue. I did some research on this as I had somewhat the same concern (although on the 2014 rMBP with integrated graphics), and could not find any evidence of prolonged clamshell mode ever causing a problem.

3. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I already have a Magic Mouse, so pairing the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with that should make an awesome makeshift desktop.

4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I primarily have my OG 15" rMBP from Mid 2012 attached to a monitor on my desk both in spanning and clamshell mode for prolonged periods, sometimes days on end, and it's still rocking like a champ.

The air intake/exhaust design in this particular model is lightyears ahead of the previous MacBook Pro.