Docking MS Word's Formatting Palette?

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I hate this floating thing. Excel's too. Every time I resize a document window I have to move that stupid little palette around.

Is there any way to turn it into a normal toolbar across the top?

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
The story of my life:

I spend hours search for an answer to a question. If I can't find an answer, I visit a forum and post the question. Being the diligent little work I am, I keep searching on my own.

Five minutes later I figure it out.

Problem solved. :)

So this isn't a complete waste of space, does anybody know how to train Excel to start up without a (blank) document?

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Nothing. Just open up without a default document. Just like Photoshop does.

I very rarely create documents. I'm constantly working from others' documents. So when I launch Word or Excel, I close that window before opening the doc I want.

It's not a huge deal. I typically open documents other ways (like double-clicking them, or dragging them to the dock), so it's not a huge deal. But if it is customizable, I'd rather not have a default doc.

benjancewicz

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Baltimore, MD
The story of my life:

I spend hours search for an answer to a question. If I can't find an answer, I visit a forum and post the question. Being the diligent little work I am, I keep searching on my own.

Five minutes later I figure it out.

Problem solved. :)

So this isn't a complete waste of space, does anybody know how to train Excel to start up without a (blank) document?
Would you care to share with the class? I'm having trouble figuring this one out... :(

drfrag

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Grr, this toolbox is highly annoying. It keeps disappearing when I play with Spaces.
If you come back here someday, I'd like to read the way to dock it in the main window.

ciao

SleepySunday95

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Finally, Finally, Finally! After messing around with it for about 30 minutes I found it.

View>Toolbars>Formatting
And there it is, docked at the top. I've been needed this for a year!!!

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Well - i like the formatting palette, as it frees up vertical screen space... but, it would be great if it could be docked/snapped to the side of main window.

I've setup a script so a keyboard shortcut resizes & moves my word & excel apps to my preferred setting - and also sets my preferred zoom level and default view style, which helps, since i don't then need to resize any window manually and move the palette.

Here's what my zoomed word looks like after hitting my Command-Z shortcut -

Long rambling post of mine includes details on how to set this kind of thing up
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=826047