Docking MS Word's Formatting Palette?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I hate this floating thing. Excel's too. Every time I resize a document window I have to move that stupid little palette around.

Is there any way to turn it into a normal toolbar across the top?

2. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

The story of my life:

I spend hours search for an answer to a question. If I can't find an answer, I visit a forum and post the question. Being the diligent little work I am, I keep searching on my own.

Five minutes later I figure it out.

Problem solved. :)

So this isn't a complete waste of space, does anybody know how to train Excel to start up without a (blank) document?

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

What do you want it to start up with? You can have it start with the project gallery, but that's pretty annoying most of the time.

4. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Nothing. Just open up without a default document. Just like Photoshop does.

I very rarely create documents. I'm constantly working from others' documents. So when I launch Word or Excel, I close that window before opening the doc I want.

It's not a huge deal. I typically open documents other ways (like double-clicking them, or dragging them to the dock), so it's not a huge deal. But if it is customizable, I'd rather not have a default doc.

5. benjancewicz macrumors newbie

benjancewicz

Would you care to share with the class? I'm having trouble figuring this one out... :(

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Me, too!

7. drfrag macrumors newbie

Grr, this toolbox is highly annoying. It keeps disappearing when I play with Spaces.
    If you come back here someday, I'd like to read the way to dock it in the main window.

ciao

8. SleepySunday95 macrumors newbie

Finally, Finally, Finally! After messing around with it for about 30 minutes I found it.

View>Toolbars>Formatting
    And there it is, docked at the top. I've been needed this for a year!!!

9. coops macrumors regular

Well - i like the formatting palette, as it frees up vertical screen space... but, it would be great if it could be docked/snapped to the side of main window.

I've setup a script so a keyboard shortcut resizes & moves my word & excel apps to my preferred setting - and also sets my preferred zoom level and default view style, which helps, since i don't then need to resize any window manually and move the palette.

Here's what my zoomed word looks like after hitting my Command-Z shortcut -
    [​IMG]

Long rambling post of mine includes details on how to set this kind of thing up
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=826047