Docking solution for MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by silroc, Oct 30, 2013.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Need to replace wife's MacBook

Struggling between MBA plus monitor, or just iMac.

I keep telling my wife that an iMac is stationary and she won't like being forced to use it at a desk all the time.

Anyone have an air connected to a non apple display? Any recommendations? I don't think an MBA, plus apple monitor will be very cost effective, but an air to 3rd party display might be good.

What sizes / spec monitors should I look at that work well with an MBA ? I am thinking 27 inch range to save her eyes

Appreciate input - tx

2. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Almost any current monitor Wiil work, you might need a dongle

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

3. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I don't have an answer about monitors but since you mentioned 'docking solution' in the title, it reminded me of a neat dock you might be interested in.

Clicky, Clicky!

Good luck on the rest!

4. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

Thank you! Yes a dock is important too- forgot to elaborate !

5. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I would absolutely stay away from Henge docks. They rely on cables being held in place by screws to dock properly. I'm the Mac admin over approximately 170 Macs at a large non profit. We used 50-60 of these at my work and out of that we only had a handful of people, who are admittedly very easy to please, that didn't constantly complain about them. It's a shame because they are one of very few companies who made/make docks for all of Apple's portables.

Over the past 6 months or so we've started filling MBAir dock requests with the 2.0 Pro dock from LandingZone. Outside of a couple initial driver issues we've been VERY pleased with them. They allow you to lock the MBAir with a standard Kensington lock, have a gigabit ethernet port, provide 4 USB 3.0 ports, etc. They're definitely a bit more expensive than the Henge docks but after receiving the first demo dock from LangingZone it unanimous through IT that they were well worth the extra cost.

As far as displays go you should be able to find a nice name brand 27" display in the $200-300 range pretty easily through places similar to CDW & NewEgg. Aside from needing a keyboard, mouse & DVI/HDMI adapter you'll be set.

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

7. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The thing I wonder about these "docked" solutions is...

Every time I want to use the machine, do I have to open the lid, wake it up, or hit the power button, then close it again, put it into its dock..... seems like a lot of work for this lazyman.

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

If you get an external keyboard & mouse, bluetooth or USB, the Mac will operate as normal even if the display is shut. I personally keep both displays open but have used Macs in closed clamshell mode over the past several years and have rarely seen any issues with waking them. It's a nice feature for people who want desktop functionality but would like to maintain portability when needed.