Docking solutions to change with 2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamthedudeman, May 18, 2012.

1. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

2. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

What would be nice is to plug in one TB cable and be done with it. Basically you plug into your TB ACD that has a FW, TB, USB, Power and Ethernet and you're done. In an ideal world the ACD would also include USB3 too.

I thought I read somewhere that TB technically would be able to power a laptop, but isn't currently setup to do so.

4. iamthedudeman thread starter macrumors 65816

What i find really amazing that this isn't a bigger issue than it is.

What do people hook their MBPs up to if they don't have a TBD? Really? Is it that fun plugging in three, four cables? I haven't heard a peep from the Apple community on the issue. The Apple faithful who don't own a TBD must really like plugging in three or four different cables. :confused:

USB 3.0 should fix this. TB is a failure right now. No TB dock on the market. Ironic it was designed to be used as a docking solution for Laptops. Not for Apple's own uses. It was developed as a mobile solution for laptops by Intel.

There isn't one TB dock on the market. Belkin will have one out in Sept, maybe. Licensing issues. :mad:

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It has a gigabit Ethernet port, so that would be the first USB 3 to GbE adaptor that I've seen and will stop the concern about the rumoured lack of a GbE port in the 2012 MBP.

6. Fleet would mac macrumors member

I think this is a great idea, but it would be even better if it were connected to the laptop via (ultra-fast) Thunderbolt and had an outgoing TB-port for daisy-chaining as well. Hopefully Apple can provide something like that, or at least encourage other manufacturers to provide such a solution if they are not willing to do it themselves. This is just the sort of thing that would give other laptop manufacturers a reason to include TB on their devices, too. Whilst some people would argue that it would be better to have some of these ports on the laptop itself, at least it's possible to carry such a docking station around, which cannot be said for the TBD.