Docking solutions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WorldIRC, Mar 15, 2014.

1. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Coming from Lenovo, having a dock is a pretty standard thing. Get to work, attach your laptop to the dock, everything is connected.

What alternatives are recommended for the 15" rMBP? I've read mixed reviews with the Belkin dock.

What I am connecting:

2x Monitors (not Thunderbolt daisy chainable) - DVI

Sound System - Since it is optical, I may just continue using the rMBP's optical port

Printer

2. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

A Henge Dock is your best bet to get anywhere near a "dock" like experience.

http://www.hengedocks.com/

My Boss has one and he is totally in love with it. Uses it with his Mid 2012? Macbook Pro with all ports utilized.

3. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like their rMBP dock is "coming soon".

4. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Still figured I would throw out the link in case it helps..

5. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it definitely looks like it will accomplish what it is I'm looking to do.

6. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I think the aforementioned option (when it ships) is your best bet for having a PC-like docking setup (I do Mac support in a primarily PC environment, so I get asked about docks all the time). The other one you might want to look at is the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock:

http://www.belkin.com/sg/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=680386

Unfortunately, it's one video port and an optical audio port short of what you need, but it recreates the interfaces, rather than just giving you a pass-through connection.

7. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

It has two thunderbolt ports in the pic. I've read mixed reviews though. And yea no optical.

8. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Yeah - one is actually the upstream Thunderbolt port so only one would be available for video purposes. It mostly provides the same capabilities as the Thunderbolt Display, minus the display portion.

Something like this really would work best for you, but it seems that there's ongoing issues with OS X and DisplayLink devices as a whole:

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Unive...4913380&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+port+replicator

http://www.displaylink.com/shop/docks

More reading about DisplayLink device issues: http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

9. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

On the Belkin, could I not just use those ports both for DisplayPort purposes? I don't have Thunderbolt devices...

10. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

One of those connects the whole dock the computer. Unlike a lot of other docks, this ignores the existing ports and interfaces already on your computer - one Thunderbolt cable connects the dock to the computer. The circuitry in the dock actually includes a USB "card", a FireWire "card", a sound "card", and an ethernet "card", with a Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort pass-through. In theory, if every port on your MacBook failed except a Thunderbolt port, this could bypass those and recreate them. It also could allow Belkin to create newer models with additional interfaces (or using USB 3 on a USB 2 Mac that has Thunderbolt).

I know most PCs have some sort of docking connector that duplicates signals for things like USB, ethernet, power, and video in one convenient location. Since there isn't such a product (hasn't been since the days of the PowerBook Duos), you either have to connect to each port on the computer or recreate them.

11. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. They use one of those to connect? Figured there may be another thunder bolt on the side or something to connect to the computer.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

How about a Caldigit TB dock?

I returned my Belkin one within two weeks of using it.
    First, the USB ports only operated at 2.5Gb/s each.
    Second, it fried sometime into its second week.

My Caldigit one works fine (a few months already) and the USB ports operate at the full 5Gb/s bandwidth.

13. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Nah, there's a little notch underneath so you can route the cable underneath and to the front in case you wanted to have the dock facing towards or away your computer...

14. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah. Then yes that dock wouldn't work for me.

15. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use the CalDigit with a single monitor. I only have to unplug my power and thunderbolt connectors when leaving.

16. philxor macrumors regular

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Honestly, I'd advise against getting a docking solution for an rmbp. You are plugging in 4 devices + power. Takes less than 5 seconds to plug in. I'd get an extra charger, so you have one for work and home. Then, just plug each device in directly.

You can also get a USB hub, so you only have to plug in one USB port for multiple devices. If you can deal with a drop in audio quality, there are bluetooth transmitters that can turn any audio source into a bluetooth device. Printers also can be plugged into many routers directly or have wifi built in.

18. seanman24 macrumors newbie

19. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Single MDP would be an issue (I use two external monitors)

----------

Have you or anyone tried it?